Sunday 19 October 2008

A weekend visit to the Wash Wader Ringing Group was productive. This was only my second ever visit.

Saturday morning brought a catch of c.150 Oystercather and c.15 Bar-Tailed Godwits. For my first time, I ringed 15 Oystercatcher and 2 Bar-Tailed Godwit.



Above: Bar-Tailed Godwit



Above: An Oystercatcher in the 'ringing position.'



Above: An oystercatcher in a plastic tube (this is safe and does not hurt the bird), it is now ready for weighing.

A night time Mist netting session brought 190 + birds. Night time mist netting and catching waders this way was a new experience for me. I sucessfully extracted a couple of Dunlin, a Bar-Tailed Godwit and a few Redshank. I part extracted 4 more including a Turnstone).



Above: My first time ringing a Black - Tailed Godwit.



More photographs to follow as I ringed a Grey Plover for the first time. Knot, Dunlin and Redshank were the other species I ringed. Dunlin was the only species caught on Sunday morning tide - I didn't ring any this time as I was getting some experience of processing wading birds (taking measurements of bill & head and bill length + weighing).

An early night tonight as I am very tired!

No comments: