Sunday 5 June 2011

Green Wood Ringer strikes!

My first self caught Green Woodpecker!



The red in the malar stripe (below the eye) makes this a male.



Seeing a Green Woodpecker in the hand was one of my main motivations to become a bird ringer. I can't count the number of times I've seen one and willed it to go in the net!



As it flies away from you, laughing, the flash of green sticks in the memory.

The chance (however small) of someday having another one in the hand will keep me getting up at silly o'clock most weekends for a long, long time! And whilst I'm waiting for the next Green Woodpecker I might catch a few other birds that will put a big smile on my face too.

To see more info on the other birds I caught today (including only the second Coal Tit to be ringed at Priory Country Park) on CES visit 4, please click here.

1 comment:

Dave said...

Congrats on the Green Woodpecker! Our CES only got 9 new (and 8 retraps) this morning.