Saturday 1 December 2012

Are winter Blackcaps from the continent?

Having blogged in previous posts about catching a couple of winter Blackcaps recently. Our overwintering population of Blackcaps are thought to be continental in origin rather than being part of the summer population overstaying.

Perhaps the control juvenile female Blackcap I caught today at Sandy Smith Nature Reserve has something to add to this story. I can't show you as I didn't have my camera, but it had a Strasbourg ring on!

So it was hatched this year (on pointy tail shape for you ringers) and has moved roughly in a North Westerly direction since it was ringed, to find itself in the heart of Bedfordshire, England. And that's all I can tell you about my first self caught foreign ringed bird.

Totals today amounted to 55 birds (22 new and 33 retrap) of 13 species (retraps in brackets)

Great Spotted Woodpecker 2 (0)
Wren 1 (0)
Dunnock 1 (1)
Robin 1 (1)
Blackbird 4 (0)
Song Thrush 2 (0)
Blackcap 0 (1) A control from the 'Strasbourg' area!
Long Tailed Tit 0 (1)
Blue Tit 3 (18)
Great Tit 2 (10)
Chaffinch 0 (1)
Goldfinch 2 (0)
Lesser Redpoll 4 (0)

In my last post, I told you that I needed 186 handlings to beat my 2011 total for Sandy Smith Nature Reserve. After today, I need 131. If I'm lucky I can do that in 3 sessions, and if that luck holds, I can fit those 3 sessions in before the end fo the year. I'm still hoping!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

T'other mate, John, other end of village, caught a Czech Blaca on 30th. That day we caught 4 between us. Today I've added another 2 and seen a 3rd. "Cardew Ellis"